Monday, September 16, 2013

Sharp Dressed Man

Top coat, top hat,
I don't worry coz my wallet's fat. 
Black shades, white gloves, 
lookin' sharp and lookin' for love. 
They come runnin' just as fast as they can 
coz every girl grazy 'bout a sharp dressed man. 

-Sharp Dressed Man, ZZ Top


This is entry for Blog Banter #49: Rich. To be quite honest, I have never been super interested in writing a Blog Banter. I usually read them, but never was very tempted to write one. But, this topic is something that I think about a lot.

What is rich in EVE Online? Is it trillions like Mynna? Is it maybe a little less, like Parasoja? Gevlon Goblin? Lets face it, these guys have more ISK than they know what to do with. While they may be the One Percent-ers, my definition of rich in this game is a little more humble.

It is not having to worry about ISK. It means having enough ISK sitting around to replace all your losses, as well as letting you do what you want. By that I mean, if you want to buy a well fit Machariel to run some mission or DED plexes you just do it. You don't have to save, or upgrade incrementally, you just log on your Jita alt, buy and ship.

I don't just define it as the size of your bank account. I have pretty much enough ISK to do anything I want (barring super caps), but what holds me back most often is income. I still haven't gotten a handle on a steady, enjoyable income stream, so I am hesitant to spend much money, because if I do, I will eventually run out. And that is not good. Basically, to be rich in this game to me means having enough ISK on hand to meet your immediate and near future needs, as well as a solid enough income stream to keep up with your expenditures. If you lose 1B ISK of ships in a month, then your income needs to be 1B ISK/month to keep up with your play style.

I've tried almost every way to make money in this game, but I haven't really stuck with a method that I like that makes good money. Maybe I will eventually, I've only been playing for four and a half years (not counting my 2004 and 2007 flirtations with EVE).

No comments:

Post a Comment