Monday, September 23, 2013

Taken

Landmine

Has Taken My Sight
Taken My Speech
Taken My Hearing
Taken My Arms
Taken My Legs
Taken My Soul
Left Me with Life in Hell

--"One" by Metallica


One of the things I was thinking about the other day was features that seem to have been removed from EVE. I'm not sure if they are or aren't for sure, but one of the quickest ways to get information is to make a statement on the internet, because someone will correct you.

Which makes me think of this.


The features that I think have been removed:

  • Custom "Orbit" and "Keep at Range" distances by ship class / size. If I recall correctly, this was by size, so a T2 cruiser would have the same orbit as a T1 cruiser but not the same as, say, a destroyer.
  • Automatic drone retrieval. When the warp command was issued, drones were automatically recalled. As long as the drones could get back to you before you aligned and warped off, your drones were safe. I found mentions of this as early as January 5th, 2009.
Let me know what you think! If I missed anything, put it in the blog comments and I'll update this post.

1 comment:

  1. The drone retrieval thing was definitely part of the game for a while. I seem to recall it as being introduced with or shortly after Incursion. It only lasted a few weeks since the idea wasn't really all that good to begin with and didn't even work in a lot of cases. (Hammerheads out shooting something 40km away? Too bad - your ship aligns and warps before they have time to return.)

    I do remember orbit/keep at range custom distances seeming to be tied to a ship. It seemed like when you first undocked a ship, you would have the values of whatever ship you were in before. But if you manually set those values, they would be there again whenever you undocked that same ship later. It might have been a class-wide thing. I never did any testing then and honestly haven't noticed if it has changed or not. The radial menu makes custom distances (up to 30km) easy. Otherwise, I'll just manually set it.

    ReplyDelete