Friday, June 28, 2013

What we have here is a failure to communicate.

The other night I lost two ships. One (a Tristan) was because I failed to check local and was therefore unaware that the two ships I scanned in a plex were not fighting. The second was because of poor communications. At some point  the online pilots in my corp formed a fleet and some of us got on comms. Part of the problem is right there. I thought all of us were on comms. To make a long story short, I was fighting a red Slasher and non-criminal rail Catalyst. The Catalyst shot at me on the gate and I jumped through. I was now able to legally engage either target. There were 3 others in fleet with me. I thought that they were on the gate. 

When I jumped through, I burned back to the gate and waited to see if the enemy ships were coming this way. They did. When the Catalyst started shooting me again, I shot back. I announced on comms that I was agressing. I assumed I had 3 buddies coming to my rescue. At least one had warped off and had to warp back. Another was not on voice comms, so he was unaware that I was fighting on the other side of the gate.

The Catalyst stayed about 20k away, while I sicced my Algos' drones on him and shot back with my own railguns. The Slasher was about 5-7k away attacking me also. I almost took down the Catalyst, but the combined DPS from the two sealed my fate. My backup never arrived.

Lessons Learned:
1. Make sure you know where everyone is. I thought my backup was seconds away but it was not.
2. Get serious. We were using very informal cooperation, instead of FC to fleetmember type teamwork, so everyone did whatever they felt best.
3. Announce your intentions. If I had said I jumped and reapproached the gate and intended to violence some ships, the likely outcome would have been 2 kills and no losses.

Oh well. We will do better next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment